Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Beginning

We have arrived. It’s been a year since I began planning this trip and 6 months since I began real preparations, and now it’s finally here. We touched down in Dublin on August 2nd at 6 am local time.  The city was still asleep and we needed to find lodgings. The first hostel was closed but the next was open, so we dropped off our stuff and began to explore. We went to Dublin Castle and St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Both of which were incredibly beautiful.  The churches here are massive and so ornate in comparison to the homeland. That night we decided to enjoy Dublin for its most renowned assets- the pubs.  Before we left for Dublin, I asked a Dubliner what Dublin had to offer and he replied, “Women…and beer…lots of beer.”  We were not disappointed. All of the people here are so friendly and the beer flowed like water, very expensive water.
We embarked on a pub crawl and made friends with some American travelers. There was so much live music at the pubs.  At one bar, Ross and I sang a song that we didn’t know the words to but now I can’t get Sweet Molly Malone out of my head.  At the last there was dancing but not what we expected.  We danced to music by AC DC, Bruce Springsteen and Adele.  It was weird.  The next day we strolled around the city, visiting Trinity College and seeing the Book of Kells, which is a very old and very elaborately designed book of the four gospels.  Dublin has an interesting sort of beauty.  Most of the buildings in the city are made of grey stone and both of our days in the city it was overcast (which I hear is quite the usual), but the city is adorned with beautiful flowers and the architecture here is very pretty, so I love it. 
That night we wandered the city (don’t worry mom, I’m still alive) and listened to some street performers where a very old man challenged the crowd to a dance off.  Ross almost joined but my camera had just run out of memory.  We are currently on our way to Youghal in County Cork where we are staying with someone we found on couch surfing.  Tomorrow we are going to Rosscarbery where my family hails from.  I’ve come to discover that I love meeting people as much as I love travelling, and I am forcing myself to be more extroverted.  Only time will tell how this will turn out.  Before I sign off, I would like to introduce a recurring segment to this blog. This is the Rosstory.

Captain’s Log. Stardate: 08-04-2011
This is not, in fact, the Rosstory as that is a stupid name for anything. This is the Captain’s Log. Jean Luc-Picard had one, and if this trip is the Enterprise, then I am certainly the captain. "bahahahahahahaha" says colin
Dublin has been everything I thought it would be; lots of pubs, sexy accents, and tasteless food. We’ve met our fair share of friends at the hostel. Rachel pointed out to me that it is really easy to recognize and bond with other Americans. Conversations always start with “Where are you from?” or “Where are you traveling?” or “Have you enjoyed _________ so far?”. Some guy from Michigan told us we had friendly accents, which I almost took offense to as I’ve made a conscious effort since 8th grade to NOT sound like I’m from rural North Carolina. I guess I can’t escape that part of me, although I’m slowly building a dictionary of European slang to bring back to the US so that’ll help.  “Rubbish” and “lorry” are a part of my regular vocabulary now.

One funny thing that happened was that Colin was tricked into buying Papa John’s pizza last night. I guess he’d had a little too much to drink. Who comes to Dublin to get Papa John’s? Even if I were in America, Papa John’s is dead last on the list of places I’d buy pizza from. I ended up eating some though, to ease Colin’s embarrassment.
I’m also growing a beard for my trip. Status at this point: Healthy Stubble.
Marginally more interesting details to come later. Ross out.

I told you it was the rosstory for a reason as most of that is utter rubbish.  Especially the part about Papa John’s, which goes under the name of Hungry Harry’s here so I can almost understand his naivety, but he’s my baby Ross so I would never really hold it against him.
Until we meet again dear reader…

2 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty ballin in Dublin. I think I'm hooked on your blog already haha. I will be returning

    Jake

    Falcooooooon PUUUNNNNCHHHH

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahaha glad you like it Jake and I hope you are well. Dublin is quite nice. We will be updating shortly after we have a nice tasting at the Jamesons factory :-)

    ReplyDelete